Kaitieke, New Zealand and Ola, Idaho, USA

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

My Summer Adventure

I took a hamster named Dorito, and during the summer I did 4-H with him. 4-H is where you learn about agriculture and animals. Our 4-H group is called the Ola Roughriders. I did all of the book work with him and around the first week of August, I had to show him in front of all the judges at the fair.  Dorito was very nervous because they had just got done showing the cats. I brought him up to the showing table and he crawled inside my shirt. He had started nibbling on my hands before this but it didn't hurt that much. After I got him out, he took one big chomp on my finger. I was so surprised that I flung him across the table accidentally. After I got him back the judge was right by me. She asked, "Please show me how you would check your hamster." With my fingers trembling, I had to hold him by his fur, and then lift him up on his back, without him biting me. As I was told from my friends afterward, my face was bright red. After I had put Dorito back in his cage, I washed all the blood off my fingers, and counted how many times he bit me, just counting the times he chewed through my skin, and it was 12 times! 

A few hours afterward, I was watching the sheep showing, and one of the moms came over to me. She said that she had just saved Doritos life. I went back to our canopy, and Dorito's fur was dark and wet. She said she had to pour water on him because he was in the sun for almost half an hour and was melting in his plastic cage! Now I know not to take Dorito for granted! Next time I will tell you about my chicken, Fluffy. 

Do you have anything like 4-H? Do you have pets at your house?
-Hailey

No comments:

Post a Comment