Kaitieke, New Zealand and Ola, Idaho, USA

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Annual fund raising horse trek

Hi Ola

This last weekend has been a long weekend here in New Zealand, as Monday was what we call Labour Day. Each year we run a three day horse trek, to raise funds to support our school buses. It is a lot of hard work but many people from the community help us out. The children sang a few songs on the Sunday evening to thank the trekkers for spending their long weekend in the beautiful Kaitieke Valley. Here we all are performing.




This is what some of the children wrote about the experience:

As I stood on the stage, I could see people staring at me. They looked at me unblinkingly. I felt little butterflies in my stomach. I never wanted to get up on the stage, even to sing just 4 songs. I felt nervous before I had even walked up on the stage. When I was on the stage I was so nervous I wanted to go home, but I had to do it. 

At the end, I felt like the nerves were for nothing.    Blake

As I stood on the stage I could see, old people staring at me. They were looking serious. "This better be good," I thought in my head. I could hear people talking but I could not hear the conversations because they blended together. Every noise that was made echoed in the room.When we started singing, I heard Jonny's cow boy boots tapping on the ground to join us. I never wanted to get on stage but I had to so that I could ride the bus to school and home.  At the end I felt like I earned something. Bryce

As I stood on the stage, I took a deep breath, sat down and started singing. As I looked around, I tried not to laugh,  and I realized it wasn't that bad . Well ...until my solo. The butterflies came back.
It was silent. I sung. The other girls sang after me, then the clapping echoed around the room.On to our next song- Down to the Country. The music started, so did the nerves. All of us started singing. I felt this was easier than by myself. After the song I felt way better The butterflies were gone. I wasn't the tiniest bit nervous, just relieved. Ria

3 comments:

  1. We liked your descriptions of the performance! We talked about how well you used sensory words to let the reader know exactly what you were feeling. Sorry we can't open the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of horses do you have? We have horses too. My grandma and I went on an endurance ride not too long ago. It was at the City of Rocks. I did not get to go on the actual ride, though, I just helped out with the horses.
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of horses do you have? We have horses too. My grandma and I went on an endurance ride not too long ago. It was at the City of Rocks. I did not get to go on the actual ride, though, I just helped out with the horses.
    Abby

    ReplyDelete